Journal prompts can jump-start a journaling habit. This is important because journaling is one of the simplest and most effective ways to self-reflect, boost gratitude, and decrease anxious thought patterns. So it’s no surprise that many therapists have helped their clients weave it into their daily habits. It’s accessible to get started, simple to pick up as a habit, and can offer a full range of benefits. However, it can be tough to know where to start. One of the biggest questions clients often ask is, “Well, what do I write about?”
That’s where journal prompts come in. Journal prompts equip clients with a specific thought or idea to explore. So, we’ve gathered 20 of our favorite journal prompts across different categories. We love these because they’re easy to keep close and offer to clients who are interested in getting started with journaling.
- Write about 5 things in your life that you’re grateful for.
- Make a list of the people in your life who genuinely support you, and who you can trust. Communicate your appreciation for them.
- Look around your physical space. What are 5 things in your immediate environment that you’re grateful for?
- Think of one thing you accomplished today, big or small. Write yourself a thank you letter for the accomplishment.
- Write about something someone did that made you happy. Alternatively, write about something you did to make someone else happy.
- What does a perfect day look like for you?
- What is the one thing you worry about most? Is this worry realistic? If so, is there anything you can do about it?
- What’s one topic you need to learn more about to help you live a more fulfilling life? Make time to learn about it, even if it’s for a little while.
- What do you wish others knew about you?
- When do you feel most energized?
- If you could talk to a younger version of yourself, what would you say? What advice would you offer?
- Write the words YOU need to hear right now from someone else.
- Write down what you wish others knew about you.
- When you’re in physical and emotional pain, what’s one kind thing you can do for yourself?
- What is one thing you’re really good at, and describe why this is a skill.
- What story were you taught about money while growing up?
- What does it mean to you to have ‘not enough’ money? And what about ‘too much’, if there’s such a thing?
- What would you like your financial situation to look like in 5 years? What about in 10 years?
- What’s one thing you can do today to improve your financial situation?
- What’s your biggest fear in relation to money?
Journal prompts help clients get started. Keep them on-track.
As clients get acquainted with journal prompts, they’ll feel more comfortable over time, and many begin to enjoy it. Journaling then becomes a tool to combat negative thoughts — a writing meditation. That’s why it’s important to keep clients on-track with their journaling progress in order to build a proper habit and reap the benefits. Digital tools like Therachat helps counsellors stay connected to therapy clients between sessions, resulting in increased compliance and quicker goal achievement.
Use Therachat to boost homework compliance by 80%. Learn more.
Help Your Clients Journal & Reduce Their Distress
Therachat empowers mental health professionals to engage therapy clients in between sessions.
61% of clients using Therachat reduce their distress within 4 weeks, thanks to the journaling activities
Easily Engage Therapy Clients Between Sessions
Therachat empowers you to engage your therapy clients in between sessions without taking up all your time or violating boundaries.
Therachat increases homework compliance with 80%
Get More Out Of Each Therapy Session
With Therachat, you know before a session start what to address and which skills to focus on. 7 Day Free Trial!
More mental health news in your mailbox?
HIPAA-compliant Texting with Therapy Clients
With Therachat you can text and chat message unlimited with all your clients. A robust notification system will let you and your clients know when you have a new message And you can easily export all messages into your EHR. 7-Day Free Trial – Learn More!
What if your clients did their homework?
Therachat empowers psychologists and counselors to help their clients finish their homework. Using Therachat increases homework compliance with 80%.
More Journaling Prompts, Worksheets And Activities
Therachat offers pre-made activities for psychologists and counselors to engage their clients in between sessions and achieve better outcomes.
Leave a Reply