Homework is one of the most influential factors of counselling success. Assigning short exercises is a powerful strategy to help clients gain insight into their experiences. It also helps them work through processing their emotions outside of sessions. A small amount of homework can have a huge impact on your counselling practice. We’ve outlined how to send counselling homework to clients and keep them on track, even outside of office hours.
The importance of homework
Research has shown that counselling clients who complete homework assignments are more engaged and empowered in their therapy process, experiencing better treatment outcomes. In most cases, clients use homework to apply what they have learned in therapy, reflect on their progress, and practice new skills in the context of their day-to-day. However, counsellors can always tailor homework to fit each individual client and their unique counselling goals.
The switch to digital
As the world moves further away from in-person services and towards an online-first practice, online homework is both a necessity and a convenience. A study found that when Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) homework was assigned digitally, clients working through substance abuse saw significantly positive outcomes. Digital homework apps offer a whole host of benefits that traditional pen and paper just can’t.
- The convenience and accessibility to keeps counselling goals top of mind.
- There’s no need to come into the office to pick up homework. If a client is ready to move on, they can simply choose activities from their personal device. There’s no need to wait for their next appointment.
- Clients can complete homework in a comfortable environment on their own time
The benefits of digital homework for counsellors
It’s not just clients who love the convenience of a digital homework app — counsellors also use it to modernize their practice and elevate the client experience.
- Create and customize digital activities that can be assigned to multiple clients. Save time and helping a wider scope of your practice.
- Follow-up with clients through an easy-to-use instant messenger that’s safe, private, and more convenient than texting with your personal number.
- Track and look back on client progress.
- Added security benefits like HIPAA compliance.
- No need to file and manage paper documents.
A digital homework app like Therachat is one of the simplest ways to save time and help clients reach their goals even faster. It also fosters better communication and therefore a stronger client-counsellor relationship — one of the clearest predictors of counselling success. Clients who feel comfortable and connected to their therapists are more likely to disclose important information. This is important for insights into their mental health progress.
Counselling homework made simple
With the convenience of counselling technology right on our devices, there’s never been a better time for you to integrate digital tools into your practice. Homework is an integral part of therapy, helping clients integrate newly learned skills into everyday life. It’s an easy way to stay connected to clients, keeping them engaged and on track between sessions. It also opens a critical relationship-boosting channel for communication between you and your clients.
Homework empowers counsellors with a deep understanding of a client’s progress throughout treatment, allowing you to adjust your approach if necessary. Like everything else, results come with consistent and steady progress. The sooner you start to send counselling homework to clients, the sooner you and your clients can enjoy the benefits that come with a regular homework routine. Therachat makes it easy to deliver homework to your clients, track their progress, and communicate securely and professionally. See the benefits of Therachat for clinicians.